Sunday, February 1, 2009

Consumer Culture (Sorry for the Vulgar Language)


So I just went outside today and worked for like 4-5 hours - the first time I've worked in like a year (I'm only 15)... And earned like 50 bucks. So I've been wanting to get the new Persona 4 game for a bit now, so I was browsing on ebay to get a copy of it, when I came across some manga for the third game.


For some reason I felt an urge to buy it.


I stepped back for a second and was like "WTF?"


Why?


And then I realized it. My life is shit. I have very little freinds that I act "real" around. On the other hand, in video games - manga - or rather I'll use the persona series as an example - well, it's based around a group of kids with extroardinary abilites, that have interesting past's - future's - and oh fuck it.


None of our stupid lives are like that. To quote The Kodan Armada "We will always dream we are invincible, we always fucking will..." Well guess what I'm not, I'm mortal, and I still have a shitty average life.


I guess that's why we play video games though. I remeber a comedian saying once, "Men go to movies to feel strong....After I see a movie, I always feel like I can kick someone's ass." - It was something along those lines, but it was true. We go watch Scraface - and think it's cool and all - and then we fucking kill another man in the street.


I can't even bench 30 pounds, but after a Jet-Li movie I feel like I can kick someone's ass...


Ironically, if you've ever played the game Persona 3 before, you'd notice that in the intro to the game it says "Remember you are mortal. Remember you will die." I always depicted that, as a reference to the fact that the main characters constantly shoot themselves in the head with fake guns, but maybe it's a joke.


Laughing at our pathetic lives.


Well I guess I'll go buy the game or the manga now...

No comments:

Post a Comment